Lowe's Home Improvement
Multicultural Activation Tour
Lowe's Home Improvement has been a part of the Hispanic and African American communities for years. In 2014, we set out to build a more robust experiential tour to connect with multicultural consumers by leveraging their love and passion for music, sports and family to create a preference for Lowe’s.
Challenge in a nutshell:
Create an experiential platform to engage consumers at relevant events in key markets.
Objective in a nutshell:
Build the Lowe’s brand distinction among their multicultural consumer by leveraging their passion points to create a preference for Lowe’s and communicate that "Lowe’s gets me” by leaning into core Home Improvement emotions around confidence and being unstoppable.
- Researched dozens of multicultural events around the country
- Helped negotiate entitlements with event properties
- POC for several event properties
- Attended a number of events with client to ensure a flawless activation
- Helped coordinate and attended radio remotes at stores
- Conducted market visits with client to stay up to date on competitive tactics
- Assisted with budget and program assessment tracking and reporting
Execution in a nutshell:
In collaboration with GMR as the activation partner, we designed a traveling "Destination Lowe's" scalable experience, which consisted of a modular pod that showcased key products you can get at Lowe's in a relevant way. For instance, we showcased patio furniture, giving attendees of the events a place to relax. We also provided refreshments and handed branded premiums, which generated additional impressions and foot traffic. Tablets provided an interactive way to get inspiration, how-to's and messaging, while also allowing brand ambassadors to sign up consumers to receive communication and offers from Lowe's.
Additionally, we also had turnkey activations at certain festivals where we could not accommodate the pod. Those events, including a concert series experience with Live Nation, were supported by custom experiences created by the event properties with our guidance to achieve brand goals. Some experiences included RFID integration, text-to-win upgrade promos, grill sweepstakes, etc.
- Familia Y Hogar (3/15 - 3/16) - Chicago
- Buku Art + Music Festival (3/21 - 3/22) - New Orleans
- Familia Y Hogar (3/30) - Houston
- French Quarter Festival (4/10 - 4/13) - New Orleans
- Houston International Festival (4/26 - 4/27) - Houston
- Beale St. Music Festival (5/2 - 5/4) - Memphis
- Cinco De Mayo (5/3 - 5/4) - Phoenix
- Cinco De Mayo (5/11) - Houston
- Festival De Mayo (5/18) - Houston
- Sacramento Music Festival (5/23 - 5/25) - Sacramento
- Legends Cup (6/1) - Los Angeles
- African American Festival (6/21 - 6/22) - Baltimore
- Cruzeiro Esporte Clube vs. Club America (6/27) - Dallas
- Wawa Welcome America (6/28 & 7/4) - Philly
- Cruz Azul vs. Monterrey (7/3) - Dallas
- Cruzeiro Esporte Clube vs. Tigres (7/3) - Houston
- Pumas vs. Cruz Azul (7/6) - Chicago
- Taste of Chicago (7/11 - 7/13) - Chicago
- Oakland Art + Soul (8/2-8/3) - Oakland
- Taste of Colorado (8/29 - 9/1) - Colorado (Labor Day)
- Live Nation Más Música Program - LA, Dallas, Hou
- Fiestas Patrias (9/14) - LA
- Fiesta Latinoamericana (9/28) - Dallas
The tour generated over 1 billion impressions throughout its duration through onsite, digital, print and radio presence. Thousands of premiums were distributed to engaged fans, who became instant brand advocates by wearing/using the items as soon as they got them.
Comments from attendees and brand ambassadors:
- "This is the fridge I was looking at on the website the other day." - Female, early 50s
“They sell this grill at Lowe’s? If I don’t win I am going to go buy one.” - Male, early 50s
“After seeing this pod I’m convinced I want to shop at Lowe’s.” - Female, early 40s
“All consumers were happy with the chargers and wanted to know more about if Lowe’s would be sending coupons/discounts.” - GMR Lead Brand Ambassador
“Consumers became immediate Lowe’s advocates by wearing their backpacks as soon as they got them.” - GMR Lead Brand Ambassador